Mitzvah Weekend: Thank You Everyone
Mitzvah Weekend was a rousing success! .
We’re waiting for the final numbers to come in, but our committee chairs are telling us that we had robust, even record-breaking, levels of participation. We estimate that 800 congregants and their friends participated. Last year 50 people gave at our blood drive; this year we had 96.
Starting with Havdalah on Saturday night until the end of the day on Sunday, we turbocharged area non-profits with projects done both onsite and out in our community.
Together we answered the call of Make Your Mitzvah Mark. This is just the start of 5776. This is the start of a year of mitzvot for the Rodeph Sholom Community.
We are excited to share some of our accomplishments!
- 96 pints of blood donated (An all time high almost doubling last years intake)
- Educated congregants about e-advocacy (the perfect off-ramp from Mitzvah Day to your year of mitzvot!)
- 1,000 lunches packed and delivered to the homeless
- 40 large boxes of books collected and sorted
- Cheered up seniors at Jewish Home Lifecare with Pet Visits, Duct tape pouches, Room to Room Singing and a Talent Show
- 50 Birthday Bags made for kids which are distributed by Bed-Stuy Campaign Against Hunger
- Many many bags of donated clothing
- Held a Halloween party for underprivileged kids at Lincoln Square Neighborhood Center
- Spruced up the entrance gardens and put down mulch in Riverside Park
- Kids made and delivered 50 decorated flowerpots to Jewish Home Lifecare and Atria
- CRuSTY Breakfast run provided breakfast and clothing to homeless people
- Spent the morning with children who reside at Jennie Clark Residence with tons of participation from Tribe
- Prepared and served meals at St. Xavier Soup Kitchen
- Wrote 150 holiday cards to US Soldiers
- Organized, sorted, and cataloged books at Fortune Society’s new Castle Garden Library
- Delivered meals with City Meals-on-Wheels
- Packaged toiletries and packed produce at the NY Common Pantry
- Made Tzedakah boxes for CRS confirmation class
- Made 80 coasters for Dorot seniors birthday gifts
- Packed the week’s Backpack Buddies for Lincoln Square Neighborhood Center
- Made packages of spices for the clients of West Side Campaign Against Hunger
- Created sustainable feminine hygiene kits with Days for Girls, sponsored by Sisterhood