– 8 oz. bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate
– half-pound sweet butter (two sticks)
– one and one-half cup sugar
– 6 lg. eggs
– 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– Place rack in middle of oven; preheat oven to 350. Grease pan, line bottom w/ round of parchment or wax paper; butter paper.
– Melt chocolate with butter, stir till smooth. Remove bowl from heat and whisk in sugar. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Sift cocoa powder over chocolate and whisk until just combined.
– Pour into pan. Bake until top has formed a thin crust and wooden pick or skewer in center of cake comes out w/ moist crumbs adhering, 35-40 min. Cool cake in pan on rack for 10 min., then remove side of pan. Invert cake onto a plate and invert onto rack to cool completely.
– Dust w/ additional cocoa powder if desired.
High-end chocolate is a must – Ghirardelli is great and Droste cocoa works well.
The cocoa should be sifted to remove any lumps.
Also, do not over bake. Serve with whipped cream if desired.