Did you know that since 2008 the number of New York City residents receiving aid under the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – or food stamps – has increased by 40%? In that same time period, the number of city residents using food pantries or soup kitchens has increased from 1.2 million to 1.4 million people.
Through our biannual Food Drive, Congregation Rodeph Sholom extends a hand to local programs that are fighting the hunger crisis every day. Your contributions to the Food Drive have allocated over half a million dollars since 2007 to support local organizations struggling to reduce hunger in New York City.
Giving to these organizations through the CRS Food Drive sends an important message that the Jewish community of the Upper West Side is a compassionate and active partner in caring for our neighbors. United, we are powerful healers.
Some of our partner organizations who benefit are listed below.
• WEST SIDE CAMPAIGN AGAINST HUNGER: Our local food pantry at 86th St & West End Avenue, currently provides food for over 1.1 million meals a year, and this demand is growing as does the number of those in need.
• DOROT: Provides food (and many other forms of assistance) for elderly Jews on the West Side.
• GODDARD RIVERSIDE HOME DELIVERED MEALS PROGRAM: A program of Goddard Riverside Community Center, provides meals to the homebound.
• BROADWAY COMMUNITY, INC: Located at 114th St & Broadway, provides meals (and other support programs) for homeless New Yorkers.
• URBAN PATHWAYS, INC: Provides shelter and supportive services to roughly 10% of the city’s homeless adults.
• HUC-JIR SOUP KITCHEN: Run by rabbinic, cantorial and education students, feeds thousands each year.
• WESTSIDE FEDERATION FOR SENIOR AND SUPPORTIVE HOUSING: Provides food for Jewish residents during Passover.
To make your contribution to the Rodeph Sholom Food Drive, please click here and select “Food Drive” from the fund/program drop-down menu.
Contributions may also be sent to Congregation Rodeph Sholom, 7 West 83rd Street, New York, NY 10024; checks should be payable to Congregation Rodeph Sholom, with “Food Drive” in the memo, or you can call the Development Office at 646.454.3052 if you wish to set up a recurring payment for the Food Drive.